Who do we want?
The Yamhill County Sheriff’s Search and Rescue Team is looking for dedicated community members who have an interest in:
- Map and compass navigation
- Mountain biking
- Ham radio
- Medical training
- K-9 search and rescue
- Horseback riding
- Helping the community
How to Join
Attend a meeting to see if you are interested. We meet at the Public Works Auditorium on the third Thursday of the month at 7 pm. The address is 2060 NE Lafayette Ave., McMinnville. See map here. Occasionally, our meetings are held at different locations, due to social events or availability of the meeting space. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm location.
You must be over 18 to join YCSAR as an adult member, or 15-18 to join as a youth member. Youth members receive all the same training and opportunities as adult members, but are more closely supervised in the field for safety.
If you’re interested in joining, here’s how to become part of our team:
- Fill out a preliminary application online. Be sure to check the box for SAR. This is just a preliminary application; once you complete it, we’ll send you the full application. Return the full application to the Yamhill County Sheriff’s Office, 535 NE 5th St., Room 143, McMinnville, Oregon 97128.
- A background check will be completed. If the application is approved by the sheriff’s office, you’ll move forward to the next step in the process.
- Meet with the Yamhill County Search and Rescue New Member Coordinator, who will explain more about search and rescue and the requirements of the team.
- Attend and complete the YCSAR Search and Rescue Training Academy, held once a year (typically February-May on alternating weekends). The Academy includes classroom and field training on search techniques and operations; outdoor survival; navigation with maps, compass, and GPS; and first aid.